Toyota Mirai Forum

It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:24 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: CA DMV did not send me a renewal but now seeks a penalty
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:21 pm 

CA DMV just sent me a renewal for my tags which now has a $271 penalty fee. When I realized a few weeks ago that my tags were expired I tried to renew online but just got an error. Then had biz travel.

I know folks are going to tell me that it was my responsibility to do something before they expired in February but I was tearing my house apart trying to find the original notice when the current one showed up in the mail. Now this morning I am at Toyota dealer getting the recall done (which is also required to renew) and I mentioned to the service rep about not getting a renewal and he said he has heard the same thing from 3-4 other Mirai owners.

Anyone else have this issue and what if anything did you do with the DMV to challenge it?

Post subject: Re: CA DMV did not send me a renewal but now seeks a penalty
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:16 pm 

yes, I had the same problem. I went to DMV and the guy understood my situation, but still my responsibility to go to DMV to pay for it before the deadline. But he was very nice. He "taught" me to "tell" him that I had some FAMILY EMERGENCY and thus could not come in to DMV in person to do the registration on time since I did not receive the notice in mail. (He just could not help me without me saying it myself). Then he just waived my late fee.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:19 pm 

That's great advice and will try it out -- but am wondering what went on on their end and how many people have just paid it rather than waste half a day at DMV.

Thanks (and off to make an appointment)!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:58 pm 

I got my Mirai from SF Toyota and they were telling almost all Mirais that this dealer sold in 2016 were having the same problem.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:13 pm 

Update--had my DMV appointment today and told them I never got a renewal despite my having gotten many of them for other cars over the previous decades. Their computer showed 3 notices mailed and none returned. I told them that was impossible as I never got any until I got the late notice. I also said that my dealer had said there was a problem for Mirai owners as did someone in SF.

I had to fill out a form under oath which said I understood I needed to register before my tags expired regardless of whether I got the notice. Then the guy waived the late fee.

Go figure.